The Dangers of Vitamin Overdose

Vitamins are essential for our health and wellbeing, but taking too much of them can be dangerous. Vitamin overdose occurs when a person ingests much more than is recommended daily, over an extended period of time. People with severe overdoses may experience coma, low blood pressure, liver failure, lung injury, and even death. Vitamin A toxicity occurs when there is too much vitamin A in the body.

Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, dizziness, irritability, drowsiness, headache, rash, increased intracranial pressure, coma, and even death. The upper limit for adults is 3000 mcg per day. Common symptoms of a vitamin B3 overdose include severe reddening of the skin, dizziness, irregular heartbeats, itching, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, abdominal pain, gout, diarrhea, loss of vision, high blood sugar levels, and liver damage. It's nearly impossible to get too much of any vitamin from eating food.

However, if you take large doses of supplements over long periods of time you can overdose on some vitamins. For example, if you take too many vitamin B3 supplements you may experience severe reddening of the skin and other symptoms. If you're taking a multivitamin supplement there's no need to worry about an overdose of vitamins as they're designed for safe consumption even when combined with fortified foods. Overdosing on certain vitamins can cause serious complications and in rare circumstances even death. It's important to be aware of the recommended daily intake for each vitamin and to not exceed it.

If you think you may have overdosed on vitamins it's important to seek medical attention immediately.

Leave Reply

All fileds with * are required